Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Fresh Strawberry and Cardamon Muffins Recipe


This is the first year that my kitchen hasn't smelled like strawberry jam. Usually it the first thing I start when strawberries come on. This year though, the swollen ankles and tired back from pregnancy have me looking for easy strawberry recipes to try out.  My desire for strawberries hasn't lessened, but my capacity to stand and stir has diminished. Muffins really are an overlooked treat, aren't they?

I know, as Jim Gaffigan would say, "...a muffin is a bald cupcake." Often overlooked because they don't sport a halo of creamy frosting, they can still be just as delicious. I like to fill and top mine with lots of fresh fruit pieces. I think that more than makes up for the lack of butter and sugar on top.

This recipe is fast, simple and delicious! The cardamon and orange zest are the perfect compliments to fresh, ripe strawberries.


So, shall we get baking? Grab your berries and in just 25 minutes (or less) you can have a pan full of soft, sweet muffins to enjoy.


Strawberry & Cardamon Muffins

You Will Need:

  • 2 c. flour, divided
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. cardamom
  • 1 orange, zested
  • 1 1/2 c. fresh strawberries, sliced + a handful more for topping the muffins
  • 3/4 c. non-dairy creamer
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Reserve 1/4 c. of flour.  Set aside.

Toss the strawberries with the remaining flour. This is a neat trick to use with any fresh berries to keep them from just sinking to the bottom of your baked treat. I also do this with cane berries and blueberries.



Mix the wet ingredients in a small bowl. Then stir into the dry ingredients. Last, gently fold in the strawberries. Try not to over mix the berries or the batter will quickly become pink.

Divide between 12 lined muffin tins. I like to slice a handful of strawberries at the end and top my muffins with them. This way each muffin shows off the berries.


Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let them cool on a wire rack slightly before serving.


Enjoy!
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!