Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Greek Lemon Chicken Soup #Recipe


On Monday I posted the recipe for Parmesan Biscotti and mentioned that I served them with a delicious Greek Lemon Chicken Soup. Today I wanted to share that easy recipe with you. It might be simple, but it is packed with big bold flavor from the lemon and dill.

My Mom found this recipe years ago and I fell in love with it. What can I say? I adore lemon whether roasted, sweetened or zested. It adds a brightness to several of my favorite desserts and dinners. Unfortunately I don't remember my Mom every making this recipe again. I suspect it didn't make the cut for them. I have made it several times though with my family and keep it with my favorite, trusted recipes.


This might not be your typical bowl of 'chicken noodle soup', but it warms my soul just the same. It uses orzo noodles, which might look like little grains of rice, but are just pasta. On my husband's request I added more orzo to this soup since he felt it didn't have enough.

You could add in more vegetables, but I like to keep it really simple. I just serve it with a salad or vegetable side.

So, shall we get started? Grab those lemons, thaw that chicken and get set for dinner.


Greek Lemon Chicken Soup

You Will Need:

  • 4 c. chicken stock
  • 4 boneless chicken thighs, cut into pieces
  • 2/3 c. orzo
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp dill, fresh if possible
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley



In a 2 quart saucepan, bring the stock up to a boil. Add the chicken and orzo and simmer for 8 minutes until tender.


At this point I like to use a ladle or spoon to skim off the extra bubbles. When I lived in Japan it was a requirement of most meat recipes. They said the bubbles would add a bitterness to the dish. I still do it with soups and curries.


Whisk your eggs and lemon juice together well. Then add a ladle or so of hot soup broth to temper the eggs. I add the broth with one hand and whisk with the other so the eggs don't just scramble. After adding a cup or so of broth to the eggs you can add the egg mixture to the pan and whisk into the soup.

Add in the dill and parsley and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. The flavors will all come together and the soup will be ready to serve.


The eggs make this soup silky smooth and the lemon is not overpowering. This is one of my favorite soups to enjoy on a cold Oregon evening.

Enjoy!
Andrea
Pin It

16 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I will be trying this recipe out very soon! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really sounds and looks delicious! I bet is was awesome with the biscotti.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, lemon in soup?! I've never seen anything like it. But, I love lemon so might just have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing!! Thanks for the recipe!! I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is perfection! Pinning for later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to expand my palate with a soup like this because I would have never though to use lemon as an ingredient for soup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of lemon in a chicken soup, it sure looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love the small list of ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks fabulous! I've been loving making homemade soups this winter and I can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I pinned it so I can refer back when I'm ready to make it. I love your step by step photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks and sounds so yummy! It's definitely going on my menu plan for next week, along with the parmesan biscotti! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, that sounds really good. I will have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That soup looks super yummy and healthy. I have a bunch of lemons right now, I think I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great twist on chicken soup. Pinning it and making it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ohhh.... looks yummy! Perfect for winter. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds great - I love soup and the weather is definitely calling for it.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!