Saturday, June 9, 2012

Spring Pea Pasta #Recipe


Springs Peas are my favorite. I don't care for canned, or frozen, it is fresh or nothing for this gal.

This is a quick one-pot recipe that is light and embodies the best of Spring for me. With a kiss of basil, a squeeze of lemon and fresh peas and zucchini center stage it is the perfect simple lunch or dinner in our house.


Spring Pea Pasta
adapted from Martha Stewart

You Will Need:

  • 1 box Gemelli pasta
  • 2 c. fresh shelled peas, uncooked
  • 1 summer squash (or yellow zucchini for color)
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 lemon
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 - 1c. reserved pasta water
  • handful of basil leaves, torn or sliced in strips
  • Parmesan cheese, grated for garnish
  • salt and pepper


Boil pasta as directed on box. 2 minutes before the pasta is done put in the squash or zucchini. One minute later add the fresh peas. Drain in a colander reserving 1 cup of pasta water.


In the empty pan melt the butter and add the juice of one lemon.

Add the pasta and vegetables back in the pan and toss to coat. Add the reserved pasta water back a little at a time till the sauce coats the pasta.


I am using a boxwood basil which is small and produces tiny, but fragrant leaves. The Genovese Basil in my garden isn't big enough to harvest yet. Either will work for this dish. Add the torn basil leaves and salt and pepper as desired. Serve with a little Parmesan cheese grated or shaved on top.


Grab a fork and enjoy!

Andrea
Pin It

1 comment:

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!